Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Winter Reading

I'm finding myself in a reading kick lately.  I haven't always been a book worm, far from it.  Growing up I don't think I ever read for pleasure.  And as sad as this is, the first book that I ever read in my adult life was the Twilight series.  I was not a reader at all, and was so determined to not get hung up in all this hype about vampire books.  But on a fateful Thanksgiving day my sister-in-laws Racquel and Challise and I went to the movie.  I had to know what happened next and so I read the first book to get all the real details, and then all of the rest quite quickly.  That was the first time I had read books for sheer enjoyment and all on my own doing.  I was so surprised that I liked reading.  What I also came to realize though was that comparing books to Twilight, I usually found interest only in page turners and/or love stories.  I'm a sucker for staying up til 3 in the morning because I can't put it down, or getting completely enveloped in a romance and find myself shedding tears of happiness when they finally kiss or end up together... (that could just be the hormones lately, jury is still out on that one!)  With my lovely friend Jen Johnson starting a book club, I've ventured out and read more books and of different genres than I would have imagined.  It's been a lot of fun.  A book she chose to read for this month is called Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson.  I loved this book, and highly recommend anyone to read it as well.  Unfortunately I believe it's her first book, I was hoping she had others.  I started to read it at 10 one night thinking I'd read a little bit before bed, but ended up not being able to put it down until I finished it at 3:30 am.  As I was going thru the next day, I kept thinking about that book.  I put in movies for the kids and settled down myself and read it again during the day.  Don't ask what my kids did the rest of the day because I don't know either!  It's set back in the 1800's in England, a proper romance as it says on the book.  It reminded me of Pride and Prejudice, some of the same locations and names were the same.  I had an urge to watch that movie but I have yet to get to that.  But I realized I've never read Pride and Prejudice.  So I borrowed the book and am really enjoying reading it because like always, books are always better than the movies and have so much more detail!  With the weather just starting to get cold, I just want to stay in my pajamas, snuggle up and read all day.  But my kids don't always allow that, plus it's not even winter yet and I don't think I can start my hibernation this early.  Until then, I wondered what some of your favorite books are?  I'm definitely new to the reading world and need to get a stack ready for when I can finally hibernate and read all winter long!

2 comments:

Chelsi Lasater said...

Hi Tom!!
I have a few book recommendations here: http://liljohnstons.blogspot.com/search/label/nerdiness

xoxo!!

Chelsi Lasater said...

I finally read Edenbrooke! So good! I ate English tea cookies whilst reading it because they said they were "A proper cookie." Proper cookie for a proper romance.